Study: The Book of Proverbs
Text: Proverbs 1:7
Title: The Fear of the LORD
- The Purpose of Proverbs: to gain knowledge, wisdom, and understanding.
- The world ejects it because they do not want to admit that the God of the Bible exists and that are will answer to HIM!!!
- We acomplia rimonabant have a “Void of TRUTH” that is being filled with UNTRUTH and we are paying a price for it.
- We must get back to God and the TRUTH of God’s Word.
- Do not be ashamed of the Gospel or God’s Word.
- Embrace it – proclaim it.
Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
The Fear of the Lord is an interesting phrase.
- It is found in 30 verses in our King James Bible
- One of those verses in the New Testament: Acts 9:31
- Twenty-nine verses are found in the Old Testament
- 1 – 1 Samuel
- 1 – Job
- 3 – Psalms
- 4 – 2 Chronicles
- 6 – Isaiah
- 14 – Proverbs
The Fear of the Lord is NOT just an Old Testament idea – it is a Biblical Truth that is relevant TODAY!!!
Acts 9:31 Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.
- We must look at the context of this verse.
- Consider the conversion of Saul and the affect it had upon the Jews and the New Testament churches.
- This demonstration of God’s power no doubt caused this response.
- Even in the life of a Believer – recognizing what the Lord has done for you should result in a proper fear of the Lord.
- Philippians 2:9-13 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. 12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
- This is not the same FEAR expressed by the Lost:
- Revelation 6:14-17 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. 15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; 16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: 17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?
What is this FEAR of the LORD?
1. Recognition of the true God – Who He Is!!!
2. Reverence for the true God – for What He is!!!
3. Respect for this true God
The Benefits of Fearing the LORD:
- The Beginning of Knowledge – Proverbs 1:7
- The Beginning of Wisdom
- Proverbs 9:10 – The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
- Proverbs 15:33 The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.
- Keeps us Living Right
- Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.
- Proverbs 16:6 By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.
- Keeps us Living Long
- Proverbs 10:27 – The fear of the LORD prolongeth days: but the years of the wicked shall be shortened.
- Keeps us Living Strong
- Proverbs 14:26 – In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge.
- Keeps us Living Well
- Proverbs 14:27 – The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.
- Proverbs 23:17 Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the LORD all the day long.
- Proverbs 19:23 The fear of the LORD tendeth to life: and he that hath it shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil.
- Keeps us Living Rich
- Proverbs 15:16 Better is little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble therewith.
- Proverbs 22:4 By humility and the fear of the LORD are riches, and honour, and life.