Title: GOD’S GRACE
Text: Genesis 6:1-8  And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,  That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.  And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.  There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.  And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.  And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.  And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.
What are some of the most treasured words in our Bible (next to the names of our Lord)? LOVE, FAITH, HOPE, PEACE
There can be no doubt the word GRACE is one of those words.
The first use of the word GRACE is found in Genesis 6:8: “But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.”
The word GRACE:
- Used in both the Old & New Testaments.
- Used 170 times in 159 verses.
(39 times in the OT – 131 times in the NT)
- Paul uses it the most of all the writers.
- Paul wrote 13 of the 27 New Testament books / letters:
- Romans 1:7 To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.
- 1 Corinthians 1:3 Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
- 2 Corinthians 1:2 Grace be to you and peace from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Galatians 1:3 Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ,
- Ephesians 1:2 Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Philippians 1:2 Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Colossians 1:2 To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
- 1 Thessalonians 1:1 Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians which is in God the Father and in the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.
- 2 Thessalonians 1:2 Grace unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
- 1 Timothy 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.
- 2 Timothy 1:2 To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Titus 1:4 To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.
- Philemon 1:3 Grace to you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
The Source of this Grace: “…from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.”
The Meaning of Grace: What is Grace? Bible grace is defined as: God’s unmerited favor
- The word “God” shows that he is the source of this favor or grace.
- The word “unmerited” means that this grace this both unearned and undeserved.
- The word “favor” means a kind or helpful act that is done for someone beyond what is due or usual.
The God of this Grace: Do you understand what is at our disposal when we seek the one who extends this GRACE???
- He is the Creator: Colossians 1:16-17 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
- He is Omnipotent: He is all powerful
Genesis 17:1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.
- The word LORD means: Jehovah – the self existent one.
- The word Almighty God is: El Shaddi – the all powerful one
- He is Omnipresent: He is always present.
Psalms 139:7-12 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? 8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. 9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; 10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. 12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
He is Omniscient: He is all knowing.
Matthew 10:29-30 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
Psalms 147:4-5 He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names. 5 Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.
The Promise of this Grace:
God’s grace is available to EVERYONE
Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
God’s grace is available through HUMILITY
James 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
God’s grace is available through DEPENDENCY
2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
God’s grace is available through PRAYER
Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
God’s Grace is not because of any thing I have done
God’s Grace is totally because of God’s love and what He has done!
God’s Grace is not because of who I am
God’s Grace is only because of whose I am
I need God’s favor: I do not have all the answers and I do not know what tomorrow may bring – but my God does.
I should desire and pray for God’s favor upon others.