Foolishness in ProverbsProverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Fool: 73 times in 69 verses / 42 times in Proverbs
Fools: 42 times / 20 times in Proverbs
Foolish: 52 times / 14 times in Proverbs
Foolishness: 20 times / 9 times in Proverbs
187 times in the Bible / 85 times total in Proverbs – 46%
1. One who is destitute of reason, or the common powers of understanding; an idiot.
2. In scripture, fool is often used for a wicked or depraved person; one who acts contrary to sound wisdom in his moral deportment; one who follows his own inclinations, who prefers trifling and temporary pleasures to the service of God and eternal happiness.
3. A weak christian; a godly person who has much remaining sin and unbelief.
1. Foolishness is the opposite of wisdom, knowledge, and understanding.
2. Foolishness not only describes what a person does or how one acts – it describes what a person believes and affects how one views life and those around him.
3. Foolishness affect relationships: God, our parents, our families, and others around us.
I. Foolishness is the opposite of wisdom, knowledge, and understanding.Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 15:5 A fool despiseth his father’s instruction: but he that regardeth reproof is prudent. Proverbs 19:3 The foolishness of man perverteth his way: and his heart fretteth against the LORD.
2. Foolishness not only describes what a person does or how one acts – it describes what a person believes and affects how one views life and those around him.Proverbs 12:15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise. Proverbs 10:23 It is as sport to a fool to do mischief: but a man of understanding hath wisdom. Proverbs 15:2 The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness. Proverbs 15:14 The heart of him that hath understanding seeketh knowledge: but the mouth of fools feedeth on foolishness.
3. Foolishness affect relationships: God, our parents, our families, and others around us.Proverbs 13:20 He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed. Proverbs 17:12 Let a bear robbed of her whelps meet a man, rather than a fool in his folly. Proverbs 17:21 He that begetteth a fool doeth it vicodin prescription online to his sorrow: and the father of a fool hath no joy. Proverbs 15:20 A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish man despiseth his mother. Proverbs 17:25 A foolish son is a grief to his father, and bitterness to her that bare him.
1. To believe that there is no God:
Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
2. To believe the Bible is of little value, archaic (out of date), or that we know better:
1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
3, To belittle the cross and the preaching of Jesus Christ:
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
4. To think we know more than the God of Heaven:
1 Corinthians 1:27-29 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
We must embrace the God of Heaven who has given so much to us: life, daily blessings, forgiveness of sins, salvation, and eternal life.